Thursday, September 8, 2011

Make me a captive, Lord by George Matheson 1842- 1906

Here is some of the background to the author http://lu.softxs.ch/mackay/Couples7/C201237.html

Here is a lovely tune for this hymn 
 
1. Make me a captive, Lord, 
 and then I shall be free. 
 Force me to render up my sword, 
 and I shall conqueror be. 
 I sink in life's alarms 
 when by myself I stand; 
 imprison me within thine arms, 
 and strong shall be my hand. 

2. My heart is weak and poor 
 until it master find; 
 it has no spring of action sure, 
 it varies with the wind. 
 It cannot freely move 
 till thou hast wrought its chain; 
 enslave it with thy matchless love, 
 and deathless it shall reign. 

3. My power is faint and low 
 till I have learned to serve; 
 it lacks the needed fire to glow, 
 it lacks the breeze to nerve. 
 It cannot drive the world 
 until itself be driven; 
 its flag can only be unfurled 
 when thou shalt breathe from heaven. 

4. My will is not my own 
 till thou hast made it thine; 
 if it would reach a monarch's throne, 
 it must its crown resign. 
 It only stands unbent 
 amid the clashing strife, 
 when on thy bosom it has leant, 
 and found in thee its life. 
 
Words from 
http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh421.sht 

No comments:

Post a Comment