Thursday, August 9, 2012

Make me a captive, Lord. By George Matheson, 1842 - 1906

  1. Make me a captive, Lord.
    And then I shall be free;
    Force me to render up my sword,
    And I shall conq'ror be.
    I sink in life's alarms
    When by myself I stand,
    Imprison me within Thine arms,
    And strong shall be my hand.
  2. My heart is weak and poor
    Until it master find:
    It has no spring of action sure,
    It varies with the wind;
    It cannot freely move
    Till Thou hast wrought its chain;
    Enslave it with Thy matchless love,
    And deathless it shall reign.
  3. My power is faint and low
    Till I have learned to serve:
    It wants the needed fire to glow,
    It wants the breeze to nerve;
    It cannot drive the world
    Until itself be driven;
    Its flag can only be unfurled
    When Thou shalt breathe from heaven.
  4. My will is not my own
    Till Thou hast made it Thine;
    If it would reach the monarch's throne
    It must its crown resign;
    It only stands unbent
    Amid the clashing strife,
    When on Thy bosom it has leant,
    And found in Thee its life.

Source (you can hear the music hear too): http://www.hymnal.net/hymn.php/h/422#ixzz230U7Icim
or you can use this tune


No comments:

Post a Comment