Thursday, June 21, 2012

Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face


One of the most difficult things for me to grasp in this past year, has been a practical application of God's sovereignty, without that aspect of faith which must go hand in hand with God's love (Romans 8:28), life becomes lacking in direction and purpose in times of trials. Thanks be to God for such grace poured out in our lives to give us such precious truths. And thanks to God's people for faithfully and patiently pointing me to my Lord, and all the hope He offers.

 I am presently working through John Murray's booklet 'Behind a Frowning Providence'. 
I stopped at Forest Lake on the way home the other day, for a few quiet moments. The hundreds of birds twittering as they settled for the night - a reminder of how perfectly God takes care of us his beloved children, for He even watches the sparrow fall and is moved. Silhouetted swans gracefully nestling together, pelicans still paddling ever hopeful of filling their colossal stomachs and ducks roosting in places strange enough to make you smile. There was a gloriously beautiful sunset - it struck me how we never think to focus on the dark murky water beneath the beautiful reflections of sky and dancing colours of the sunset reflected on the water's ripples. So it should be with God's providence... we should not be focusing on all the sad and seeming depressing aspects of His providence, rather looking to Him as He reveals Himself to us in majesty and glory, as the Light of the world. We no doubt grasp just a small reflection of all His glory, but with time it will be fully revealed - oh what a glorious day to look forward to indeed!

.... one thing I have learnt is that my faith is very weak and and oh so small, small, small....I have walked as Peter walked upon the sea - looking at the waves tossing to and fro instead of at my Saviour. How often my Lord has rescued me of little faith, from drowning simply because I have so small a faith, so dimmed and hazy a view of who He is. May I look more faithfully to my beloved Lord and 'walk on the water', by His enabling, grace and merciful help. (Photographs By Jessica-Helen Grace Murray, copyright. 2008. Used with permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment