Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Worship: Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us! ( Hebrews 12 1-3)

I have had months of struggles as I come to terms with a grief so deep - there have been many trails that I cannot talk about, many things to worry about, things to be afraid of... But more and more I find sanctuary in being with my Lord. These were the thoughts He blessed me with this morning as I was tempted again to be swamped with anxiety and about how to overcome this problem...I was thinking about  training my brain to go in the direction it will not naturally go in...it is a bit like the physical training to get fit and ready for a race, isn't it? Both require discipline and self control!


"Contrary to our modern 'christian' thought, worship is not the warm fuzzy 'feeling' one gets when singing a song with your friends to a jaunty tune...rather it is a deliberate act  of self control of the mind, to turn ones thoughts to God  and to meditate on who He is and what He has done for us. In doing this one immediately sees a failing to love Him as we ought, and one must bow in humble confession. The heart follows the mind in adoration, the soul rejoices and one is physically strengthened to love God in all you do...this is worship....to love the Lord with all your heart and soul and mind and strength, forsaking the temptation to focus on the worries at hand which crowd out our focus on our precious Lord. No 'AWOLing' in this type of love, spending time with our Emmanuel, using ones brain cannot be avoided, if one is to flee from sin, if one desires righteousness."

No comments:

Post a Comment